Three killed in San Diego Islamic Centre shooting as police confirm suspects dead

Three killed in San Diego Islamic Centre shooting as police confirm suspects dead
Emergency workers respond at the scene of a reported active shooter situation at the Islamic Centre, in San Diego, California, U.S., 18 May 2026.
Reuters

Three people, including a security guard, have been killed in a shooting at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, authorities confirmed on Tuesday. Police said the attack took place at the centre in the Clairemont area, the largest mosque in San Diego County.

San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said officers quickly secured the scene and confirmed there is no ongoing threat to the public.

Teen suspects found dead near mosque

Two teenage suspects, aged 17 and 19, were later found dead inside a vehicle near the mosque, according to Mark Remily, special agent in charge of FBI San Diego, speaking at a news conference.

Authorities did not immediately release further details about a possible motive or how the suspects died, but confirmed they were linked to the attack.

'Outrageous'

At a press conference, Imam Taha Hassane, director of the Islamic Centre of San Diego, described the attack as “outrageous to target a place of worship.”

“I know it’s time of sorrow, time of sadness. We have never experienced a tragedy like this before. And at this moment, all what I can say is sending our prayers and standing in solidarity with all the families in our community here,” he said.

He stressed that places of worship must be protected. “It is extremely outrageous to target a place of worship,” he added.

Hassane said the centre is normally a place where people come to pray, learn and celebrate together. He also thanked law enforcement and officials for their response, saying they came to “stand in solidarity with us.”

Police describe attack as hate crime

Chief Scott Wahl said investigators are treating the shooting as a hate crime.

He said the centre’s status as a major place of worship in the region was part of the assessment as the investigation continues.

Officials have not yet provided further details on the evidence behind the classification.

Emergency response and witness accounts

Police initially said “the threat at the Islamic centre has been neutralised” after reports of an active shooter, with emergency teams rushing to the scene.

San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria said he was “aware of the active shooter situation” and thanked emergency personnel for their rapid response.

California Governor Gavin Newsom said he had been briefed on an “evolving situation”, with state agencies coordinating with local law enforcement.

A witness told CBS News that he heard up to 30 gunshots. “I first heard about a dozen shots, then a pause, then another possibly dozen shots,” he said.

He added that police arrived within “five to 10 minutes” after he called 911.

Lockdowns and evacuation at nearby schools

Nearby schools were placed on lockdown as police responded. Children were later escorted to safety through the mosque’s campus.

A reunification point was set up for parents to collect their children following the evacuation.

About the Islamic Centre of San Diego

The Islamic Centre of San Diego is the largest mosque in the county, serving more than 5,000 members.

The campus also includes a school and community facilities aimed at education and outreach, according to its website.

This is a developing story.

Tags