Indonesia's president cancels China trip as protests continue
Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto on Saturday cancelled a planned visit to China as nationwide protests spread beyond Jakarta, with several region...
North Korea condemned a planned joint military exercise by South Korea and the U.S. as a “direct military provocation” and warned of countermeasures, despite signs of easing tensions across the border under South Korea’s new leadership.
North Korea’s Defence Minister No Kwang Chol said its armed forces have an “absolute mission” to defend national security against the 11-day drills, describing them as a “real and dangerous threat.”
“The armed forces of the DPRK ( Democratic People’s Republic of Korea) will respond to the war drills of the U.S. and South Korea with thorough and resolute counteraction and will strictly exercise their sovereign right,” No said in a statement carried by the KCNA news agency.
No criticised the exercises as further proof of confrontational intent by the allies, which he said increase hostility and destabilise regional security.
North Korea regularly condemns South Korea–U.S. drills, previously calling some a “rehearsal” for nuclear war, even while conducting missile tests and artillery exercises.
South Korea and the U.S. announced last week that the annual exercise will begin on 18 August to test command control and troop mobilisation under an updated security strategy addressing the nuclear threat from North Korea.
A powerful eruption at Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano sent an ash plume more than 3,000 metres high on Sunday morning, prompting safety warnings from authorities.
According to the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), a magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck the Oaxaca region of Mexico on Saturday.
The UK is gearing up for Exercise Pegasus 2025, its largest pandemic readiness test since COVID-19. Running from September to November, this full-scale simulation will challenge the country's response to a fast-moving respiratory outbreak.
A Polish Air Force pilot was killed on Thursday when an F-16 fighter jet crashed during a training flight ahead of the 2025 Radom International Air Show.
Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto on Saturday cancelled a planned visit to China as nationwide protests spread beyond Jakarta, with several regional parliament buildings set on fire.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for the 31th of August, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Russian President Vladimir Putin arrived in the northern Chinese port city of Tianjin on Sunday for a regional security summit, Chinese and Russian state media reported.
China’s largest city and global financial hub, Shanghai, has set a new heat record, state media reported on Saturday. Temperatures in the city exceeded 35°C (95°F) for 25 consecutive days, breaking the previous record set in 1926.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived in Japan on Thursday to meet his Japanese counterpart, Shigeru Ishiba, with trade and security high on the agenda.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment