live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persists
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu testified for the first time in his corruption trial, calling the charges against him “ridiculous.” Protests erupted outside the Tel Aviv courthouse, as critics and supporters clashed over the embattled leader’s political and legal future.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu testified for the first time in his long-running corruption trial today, dismissing allegations of bribery, fraud, and breach of trust as "simply ridiculous." Protests erupted outside the Tel Aviv courthouse, with demonstrators demanding accountability as the legal and political turmoil surrounding the Israeli leader intensified.
Inside the packed courtroom, Netanyahu greeted attendees before taking the stand, claiming that his delayed testimony was due to Israel’s “seven fronts” of war, referencing ongoing conflicts in Gaza and Lebanon. Despite last-minute efforts by 12 Cabinet ministers to postpone the proceedings, citing security concerns, the court denied the request, allowing the trial to move forward.
The case, which began in 2020, centers on accusations that Netanyahu used his political position for personal gain. Critics argue that he has exploited national crises to shift attention away from his legal battles—allegations he firmly denies.
Under Israeli law, Netanyahu remains in office unless convicted by the Supreme Court. However, opposition leaders and international organizations, including the International Criminal Court (ICC), have escalated scrutiny over his leadership, adding allegations of war crimes to the mounting controversies.
As protests continue and the trial progresses, Netanyahu’s future hangs in the balance, with both his political career and legacy under intense pressure.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz is facing growing pressure as his approval ratings fall and the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party gains support.
At least nine people were killed, including a child, in a fire at a hotel in India's eastern city of Kolkata on Wednesday, local police said.
France is set to expel two Iranian diplomats in response to what Paris has described as a “deliberate assault” on two French embassy staff in Tehran last month, escalating tensions between the two countries.
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to substantially reduce American participation.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment