Trump: Airspace above and surrounding Venezuela to be closed
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday that the airspace above and surrounding Venezuela should be considered "closed in its entirety", but gave...
China has taken a major step in deep space exploration with the launch of Tianwen-2, aiming to become the third nation to return samples from an asteroid.
China launched its Tianwen-2 spacecraft early Wednesday in a landmark mission to retrieve samples from a near-Earth asteroid, 469219 Kamoʻoalewa. The Long March 3B rocket carrying the probe lifted off at around 1:31 a.m. local time from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in southwest China. State media Xinhua confirmed the launch as a "complete success."
The robotic spacecraft is expected to approach the small asteroid—located about 10 million miles from Earth—over the next year, reaching its destination by July 2026. Tianwen-2 will collect rock samples and return them to Earth via capsule in November 2027.
This mission underscores China’s rapidly advancing space ambitions. In recent years, China has landed robotic missions on the far side of the moon, launched and operated its own space station, and is preparing to send astronauts to the lunar surface by 2030.
If successful, China will become the third country to recover asteroid samples. Japan pioneered such missions with Hayabusa in 2010 and Hayabusa2 in 2019. The United States followed with its OSIRIS-REx mission, which retrieved samples from asteroid Bennu in 2020.
Kamoʻoalewa, Tianwen-2’s target, is classified as a quasi-satellite of Earth—an object that follows a similar orbit around the sun. NASA estimates its size to range from 40 to 100 metres. Scientists hope the mission will offer insights into the early solar system and the origins of water and life on Earth.
At least 47 people have died and another 21 are reported missing following ten days of heavy rainfall, floods, and landslides across Sri Lanka, local media reported on Thursday (27 November).
Hong Kong fire authorities said they expected to wrap up search and rescue operations on Friday after the city's worst fire in nearly 80 years tore through a massive apartment complex, killing at least 128 people, injuring 79 and leaving around 200 still missing.
U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth visited sailors aboard the USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier in the Latin American region on Thursday, amid a military buildup by President Donald Trump’s administration that has heightened tensions with Venezuela.
At least 153 people have been killed in Sri Lanka after landslides and flooding caused by Cyclone Ditwah, officials said on Saturday, with 191 others missing and more than half a million affected nationwide.
The Spanish agricultural sector has been placed on high alert following the confirmation that African Swine Fever (ASF) has resurfaced in the country for the first time in over thirty years.
Russia’s state communications watchdog said it is tightening restrictions on WhatsApp, claiming the US-owned platform violates Russian law and is being used to facilitate criminal activity, according to comments carried by the Tass news agency.
Russia successfully launched a military satellite into space on Wednesday (November 26) from the Plesetsk cosmodrome, marking another milestone in the country's expanding space capabilities.
China's first emergency space launch entered orbit after blasting off on Tuesday, as the country looks to plug safety risks at its crewed space station after a vessel was damaged in orbit earlier this month.
President Donald Trump signed an executive order establishing a new federal programme to accelerate American artificial intelligence research and applications.
Audi has unveiled the car that marks its first major step into Formula One. It presented the 2026 challenger at a launch event in Munich attended by drivers, team leaders and senior company executives.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment