At least nine killed in hotel fire in India’s Kolkata
At least nine people were killed, including a child, in a fire at a hotel in India's eastern city of Kolkata o...
At least six Palestinians have been killed in an Israeli airstrike in Gaza City, according to Palestinian health officials, as efforts by U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration to advance a plan to end the war remain deadlocked.
The strike hit a crowded café inside Gaza City’s fishing harbour on Tuesday (18 August) killing at least six people and injuring 14 others, Gaza medics said. The port area has become a makeshift shelter for displaced Palestinian families during the conflict.
Witnesses described blood and debris scattered across the ground after two missiles struck the café.
Israel’s military said the strike targeted Hamas commanders and other militants who were planning attacks against Israeli forces in Gaza. It claimed one of those targeted had participated in the 7 October 2023 Hamas-led attack on Israel, which triggered the war.
The military did not provide evidence for the claims.
The attack came a day after Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law and a key figure in his Gaza diplomacy, left the region without securing a breakthrough.
Kushner met Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Jerusalem on Monday (17 August) and separately held talks with mediators and Hamas representatives in Egypt over the implementation of Trump's proposed Gaza roadmap.
The talks failed to resolve the central dispute between Israel and Hamas: the timing of an Israeli military withdrawal and the disarmament of Hamas.
An official involved with Trump's so-called Board of Peace said Israel retained its “full right of self defence” and that there would be no “redeployment” of Israeli forces until Hamas was disarmed.
An Israeli official said Netanyahu had made clear that Israeli forces would continue operating in Gaza and would not withdraw.
Trump previously said Hamas had accepted his roadmap, which envisages the group surrendering its weapons in stages as Israeli forces withdraw from Gaza.
But Netanyahu has rejected any arrangement that would see Israeli troops pull back before Hamas is fully disarmed.
Hamas, meanwhile, has demanded that Israel honour the ceasefire and withdraw its forces from the territory.
Both sides have therefore remained at odds over which steps should come first, leaving Trump's proposed framework in limbo.
Kushner warned that if Hamas failed to honour its commitments, Israel could receive greater international backing for further military action.
“If they don't follow through now on their commitment, everyone will see that they're not genuine about peace,” he said.
Hamas accused Israel of attempting to sabotage Trump's initiative and said it remained committed to the agreement.
The group did not confirm whether any of its commanders were among those killed in the strike, although it said a child was among the dead.
The latest violence has added to concerns over the durability of the ceasefire. Palestinian health officials say more than 1,200 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza since the ceasefire was reached in October, while the Israeli military says four of its soldiers have also died during the same period.
The continuing violence, coupled with the lack of progress in negotiations, leaves Trump's Gaza plan facing a significant test as Israel and Hamas remain divided over the next stage of the ceasefire.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
Georgia’s newly elected Catholicos-Patriarch Shio III is set to visit Istanbul, with the upcoming trip discussed during a meeting with Metropolitan Emmanuel of Chalcedon, a representative of Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I.
Azerbaijan’s strategic rise is turning it from a transit state into a regional rule-setter, with the Middle Corridor giving Baku growing influence far beyond its size, analyst Ahmad Alili says.
Kyrgyzstan is seeking to boost fuel imports from China as it looks to diversify supplies and reduce the risks of its heavy reliance on Russia.
At least 42 children were injured in an explosion at an educational centre in western Kabul on Monday, sparking international calls for a full investigation.
Uzbekistan could lose up to $1.5 billion if escalating Middle East tensions disrupt vital trade and logistics routes through Iran, putting pressure on supply chains and the wider economy.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment