Germany tells nationals to leave Iran, fearing retaliation over sanctions
Germany has told its nationals to leave Iran and refrain from travelling there to avoid getting caught in retaliatory acts by Tehran over Germany's ro...
Greece and Egypt have committed to preserving the historic and spiritual status of St Catherine’s Monastery after a court ruling raised concerns about its future use and surrounding land.
Greece and Egypt have announced a joint commitment to protect the status of St Catherine's Monastery, one of the world's oldest Christian sites, following an Egyptian court decision that ordered Orthodox monks to vacate land near the monastery.
Located at the foot of Mount Sinai, St Catherine's Monastery dates back to the 6th century and remains in use for its original religious purpose. Recognised as a UNESCO World Heritage site, the complex holds significant spiritual value for Christians, Muslims, and Jews. Tradition holds that it stands at the site where Moses received the Ten Commandments.
Tensions arose last week after a court ruling ordered the monks to leave adjacent vineyards and gardens, deemed to have been acquired unlawfully. The move triggered a diplomatic exchange between Cairo and Athens regarding the site's legal and religious protections.
Greek Foreign Minister George Gerapetritis, following a meeting with Egyptian counterpart Badr Abdelatty in Cairo, confirmed the two countries’ agreement to uphold the monastery's rights and historic legal status. Gerapetritis emphasised the significance of the site’s Greek Orthodox identity.
Meanwhile, Abdelatty affirmed that the court decision does not affect the monastery's spiritual role. He confirmed that the monks would retain access to all religious and historical parts of the complex.
The monastery, which is also home to a vast collection of early Christian manuscripts, continues to symbolise a long-standing cultural and religious link between Egypt and Greece. Bilateral cooperation between the two nations has grown steadily in recent years.
A powerful eruption at Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano sent an ash plume more than 3,000 metres high on Sunday morning, prompting safety warnings from authorities.
According to the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), a magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck the Oaxaca region of Mexico on Saturday.
The UK is gearing up for Exercise Pegasus 2025, its largest pandemic readiness test since COVID-19. Running from September to November, this full-scale simulation will challenge the country's response to a fast-moving respiratory outbreak.
Music mega-star Taylor Swift and National Football League player Travis Kelce announced their engagement. “Your English teacher and your gym teacher are getting married," the couple wrote in a joint Instagram post, alongside photos of Kelce proposing to Swift in a garden of pink and white flowers.
Germany has told its nationals to leave Iran and refrain from travelling there to avoid getting caught in retaliatory acts by Tehran over Germany's role in triggering United Nations sanctions on Iran over its nuclear programme.
Britain has barred Israeli government officials from attending its largest defence trade show, DSEI UK 2025, in response to Israel's escalating military operations in Gaza. The move marks a rare rebuke of a historically close ally during rising humanitarian concerns.
Afghan officials said Pakistani drones struck homes in Nangarhar and Khost provinces late on Wednesday, killing three people and wounding seven, prompting the Taliban government to summon Pakistan’s ambassador in Kabul on Thursday in protest.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for the 29th of August, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Microsoft has dismissed four employees for protesting against its ties to Israel, including two who staged a sit-in at the office of company president Brad Smith this week.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment