U.S. envoy says ‘meaningful progress’ made as Ukraine talks enter second day
U.S. special envoy Steve Witkoff said talks between Russia and Ukraine had brought “meaningful progress” towards ending the war, as negotiations m...
The U.S. State Department has handed over international disaster response duties to its refugee-focused bureau, sidelining USAID’s seasoned crisis teams.
The State Department office responsible for refugee affairs and reducing illegal migration will now lead the U.S. response to international disasters, according to excerpts from an internal cable reviewed by Reuters—a move that experts warn could prove problematic due to the office's limited experience and staffing.
The Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM) is taking over this role from the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), which has traditionally managed foreign disaster response. This shift is part of the Trump administration’s broader effort to reduce the size of the federal government—an initiative that has been significantly driven by billionaire Elon Musk, according to the document.
USAID's dismantling has already had consequences. Experts cite the administration’s delayed and insufficient response to the powerful March 25 earthquake in Myanmar as an example.
The details are contained in an ALDAC cable—short for “All Diplomatic and Consular Posts”—distributed to U.S. embassies and diplomatic missions worldwide. Reuters was unable to determine the exact date the cable was issued.
Under the new directive, all U.S. diplomatic posts are instructed to coordinate with PRM regarding declarations of foreign disasters.
“With approval from PRM, based on established international disaster assistance criteria, up to $100,000 may be disbursed to support the initial response,” the cable states. “Further funding may be made available depending on humanitarian needs, in coordination with other State Department offices.”
The State Department did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
A source familiar with the matter, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed the authenticity of the cable excerpts.
According to the source, only 20 of the approximately 525 disaster response experts previously employed by USAID’s Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance and its Office of U.S. Foreign Disaster Relief will be transferred to PRM—an amount the source described as wholly insufficient. Furthermore, the source noted that PRM’s leadership lacks the knowledge necessary to manage large-scale disaster operations.
“They simply don’t understand disaster response,” the source said.
“It’s absurd,” commented Jeremy Konyndyk, former director of the Office of U.S. Foreign Disaster Relief and current president of Refugees International. “PRM plays a vital role, but operational disaster response is not part of their mandate.”
Historically, the U.S. has been able to rapidly deploy elite response teams to crises such as tsunamis and earthquakes. However, with PRM now in charge, that capability is in jeopardy.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio has dismissed criticism of the U.S. response to the Myanmar earthquake, citing the challenging conditions posed by the country’s military junta and asserting that the U.S. continues to be the largest contributor of international aid.
Konyndyk, however, expressed concern that as the Caribbean hurricane season approaches, the U.S. will no longer be able to field its world-renowned Disaster Assistance Response Teams.
“PRM can’t replicate the systems and logistics that make DARTs effective,” he said. “They’re essentially trying to build a Potemkin version of DART.”
The restructuring of USAID under the Trump administration has resulted in the dismissal of thousands of contractors, the administrative leave of most of the agency’s 10,000 staff—many facing permanent termination—and the cancellation of billions of dollars’ worth of life-saving programs serving tens of millions worldwide.
One excerpt of the cable mentions that in future overseas disaster scenarios, PRM may call upon what remains of USAID’s Bureau of Humanitarian Assistance to help deliver an effective and timely response.
Cuba’s fuel crisis has turned into a waste crisis, with rubbish piling up on most street corners in Havana as many collection trucks lack enough petrol to operate.
Iran’s Revolutionary Guards navy held military exercises in the Strait of Hormuz on Monday (16 February), state-linked media reported. The drill took place a day before renewed nuclear negotiations between Tehran and Washington in Geneva.
The 2026 Munich Security Conference (MSC) unfolded over three intense days in Munich, confronting a defining question of our era: has the post-Second World War international order collapsed - and if so, what will replace it?
Ruben Vardanyan has been sentenced to 20 years in prison by the Baku Military Court after being found guilty of a series of offences including war crimes, terrorism and crimes against humanity.
Canadian Prime Minister, Mark Carney, announced on 16 February that the Honourable Janice Charette has been appointed as the next Chief Trade Negotiator to the United States. She's been tasked with overseeing the upcoming review of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA).
U.S. special envoy Steve Witkoff said talks between Russia and Ukraine had brought “meaningful progress” towards ending the war, as negotiations moved into a second day in Geneva.
The United States and Iran reported measured progress after a new round of indirect talks in Geneva aimed at resolving the dispute over Tehran’s nuclear programme.
An unidentified man was taken into custody on Tuesday (17 February) after running towards the U.S. Capitol carrying a loaded shotgun and wearing tactical gear, according to Capitol Police Chief Michael Sullivan.
Peru’s Congress has voted to censure and remove José Enrique Jeri Ore from his posts as President of Congress and acting President of the Republic, just four months into his tenure, citing undisclosed meetings with Chinese businessmen and alleged hiring irregularities.
France celebrated Olympic gold in the men’s biathlon relay in Anterselva on Tuesday (17 February), following a thrilling race marked by an electric atmosphere at the stadium.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment