Kazakhstan urges Ukraine to halt pipeline attacks
Kazakhstan has called on Ukraine to stop attacks on the Caspian Pipeline Consortium (CPC) terminal on the Black Sea, after a major drone strike halted...
The IFRC has received only 10% of its $122 million emergency appeal for Myanmar’s earthquake recovery, raising alarm as thousands remain homeless and vulnerable ahead of monsoon season.
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) said on Thursday that it has received only a small portion of its emergency appeal for 100 million Swiss francs ($122.4 million) to support recovery efforts following last month’s devastating earthquake in Myanmar.
The 7.7-magnitude quake, which struck on March 28 and is among the strongest to hit Myanmar in a century, killed over 3,600 people, destroyed entire communities, and left thousands without access to basic necessities such as food, water, and shelter.
“Only 10% of our appeal has been funded—far less than we anticipated. It’s nowhere near enough,” said Alexander Matheou, IFRC’s regional director, speaking to Reuters via video link from Mandalay.
The organization attributed the shortfall to a general decline in international aid, compounded by reduced U.S. funding under President Donald Trump’s administration.
“We now have around 200,000 people living on the streets because it’s unsafe to return to their homes. They urgently need shelter, food, clean water, and sanitation,” Matheou explained.
He also noted extensive destruction, including to homes, entire streets, and important cultural sites such as temples, mosques, and churches.
The IFRC reported more than 400 aftershocks in the 10 days following the quake, forcing thousands to sleep outdoors out of fear that damaged buildings could collapse. The looming monsoon season is expected to worsen conditions further.
The earthquake hit at a particularly fragile time for Myanmar, already reeling from four years of military rule and ongoing civil conflict that have severely weakened infrastructure and displaced millions.
According to the country’s military, 3,645 people were killed, 5,017 injured, and 148 remain missing. Nearly 49,000 homes and over 2,100 government buildings were destroyed.
U.S. investigators have recovered the black box recorders from the wreckage of a UPS cargo plane that crashed in flames on takeoff in Louisville, Kentucky. At least twelve people died. The crash sent a wall of fire into an industrial corridor and forced the shutdown of the airport.
The global recall of Airbus A320 aircraft has triggered widespread disruption across several major airlines, forcing flight cancellations in the United States, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.
Hezbollah chief Naim Qassem said on Friday that the group retains the right to respond to Israel’s killing of its top military commander, leaving open the possibility of a new conflict with the country.
Kazakhstan has called on Ukraine to stop striking the Black Sea terminal of the Caspian Pipeline Consortium (CPC) after a major drone attack forced a halt to exports and caused serious damage to loading equipment.
Russia’s state communications watchdog said it is tightening restrictions on WhatsApp, claiming the US-owned platform violates Russian law and is being used to facilitate criminal activity, according to comments carried by the Tass news agency.
Red Bull’s Max Verstappen triumphed at the Qatar Grand Prix, overtaking McLaren’s Oscar Piastri for victory, while Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz Jr. completed the podium in Doha.
China’s Xuelong 2 icebreaker has reached waters near Zhongshan Station and begun icebreaking operations as part of the country’s 42nd Antarctic scientific expedition, a 19-month mission aimed at advancing polar research and strengthening international scientific cooperation.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Sunday he expected ongoing talks with Ukrainian officials to deliver “more progress” toward reaching a deal to end the conflict in Ukraine.
OPEC+ is expected to maintain its current oil production levels at meetings scheduled for Sunday, as the alliance weighs the risks of an emerging supply glut against ongoing geopolitical uncertainty, four OPEC+ sources told reporters this week.
More than a thousand people gathered in Hong Kong on Sunday to mourn victims of the city’s deadliest fire in 75 years, as Beijing warned against any protest.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment