SCO summit strengthens Azerbaijan–China partnership
The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) summit opened in Tianjin on 31 August, gathering leaders from across Eurasia and the Global South....
Prince Harry is facing accusations of “harassment and bullying at scale” from Sophie Chandauka, the chair of Sentebale, a charity he co-founded to help young people with HIV and AIDS in Lesotho and Botswana.
Chandauka’s allegations come after Harry, along with co-founder Prince Seeiso of Lesotho and the board of trustees, resigned from the charity amid a dispute she described as “devastating.”
In an interview with Sky News set to be broadcast on Sunday, Chandauka criticized Harry’s handling of his resignation. “At some point on Tuesday, Prince Harry authorised the release of a damaging piece of news to the outside world without informing me or my country directors, or my executive director,” she stated. “That is an example of harassment and bullying at scale.”
Harry co-founded Sentebale in 2006 in honour of his late mother, Princess Diana. Chandauka, who has previously cited issues of poor governance, weak executive management, abuse of power, bullying, harassment, misogyny, and misogynoir within the organization, said the charity's operations were outdated and needed reform to match modern standards.
She told the Financial Times that she was asked by Harry’s team to protect Meghan Markle from negative media coverage, a request she refused. She also noted that funders were increasingly demanding locally-led initiatives, which she said were not being adequately implemented.
Harry and Seeiso released a joint statement on Wednesday calling the breakdown of the relationship between the charity’s trustees and Chandauka “devastating.” They said the trustees acted in the charity’s best interests when asking Chandauka to step down. However, Chandauka has since sued Sentebale to retain her position.
As the dispute continues, questions remain about the charity’s governance and future direction.
A powerful eruption at Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano sent an ash plume more than 3,000 metres high on Sunday morning, prompting safety warnings from authorities.
According to the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), a magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck the Oaxaca region of Mexico on Saturday.
The UK is gearing up for Exercise Pegasus 2025, its largest pandemic readiness test since COVID-19. Running from September to November, this full-scale simulation will challenge the country's response to a fast-moving respiratory outbreak.
A Polish Air Force pilot was killed on Thursday when an F-16 fighter jet crashed during a training flight ahead of the 2025 Radom International Air Show.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for the 31th of August, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Russian President Vladimir Putin arrived in the northern Chinese port city of Tianjin on Sunday for a regional security summit, Chinese and Russian state media reported.
China’s largest city and global financial hub, Shanghai, has set a new heat record, state media reported on Saturday. Temperatures in the city exceeded 35°C (95°F) for 25 consecutive days, breaking the previous record set in 1926.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived in Japan on Thursday to meet his Japanese counterpart, Shigeru Ishiba, with trade and security high on the agenda.
Spain has condemned the U.S. decision to revoke visas for Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and 80 other officials, calling it “unacceptable” and urging the European Union to take a leading role in defending Palestinian representation at the UN.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment