live WUF13 opening ceremony held in Baku as global forum advances sustainable urban development
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the of...
Intel has announced a further delay in the completion of its long-awaited Ohio chip fabrication facilities, now targeting an opening for its first facility in 2030 and the second in 2031. The delays push back the original 2025 timeline set when the project was first unveiled in 2022.
The $20 billion Ohio One project, which comprises two separate chip fabs—dubbed Mod 1 and Mod 2—has seen its progress adjusted to better align with market demand and Intel’s broader business needs. In a statement, Intel said the decision to postpone the opening of Mod 1 until 2030 reflects a “prudent approach” to ensure the facilities are completed in a financially responsible manner. Mod 2 is scheduled to follow in 2031.
According to Intel, construction work has already begun on the above-ground portion of the project, following the completion of the “basement” level last quarter. The company had previously indicated to the state of Ohio that the project might be delayed until 2027 and had postponed the groundbreaking, reportedly to help incentivize the passage of the CHIPS Act in 2022.
The delays add to a challenging period for Intel, which has faced significant internal and external pressures in recent months. In December, former CEO Pat Gelsinger was replaced amid broader concerns over Intel’s aggressive expansion plans. Additionally, funding from the CHIPS Act was reduced by $600 million, and the company has navigated layoffs as it contends with heightened competition from rivals such as AMD.
With the latest postponements, Intel aims to recalibrate its chip production timeline to meet evolving market conditions while maintaining financial discipline. The company did not provide further details on specific operational adjustments or revised project milestones.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
At least eight people were injured after a driver rammed a car into pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena, authorities said on Saturday. Four of the victims were reported to be in serious condition.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
At least eight people have died and 32 others were injured after a freight train collided with a public bus at a railway crossing in Bangkok on Saturday (16 May), triggering a fire that quickly spread through the vehicle.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
Israeli military strikes across Gaza killed at least eight Palestinians on Sunday, according to local health officials, as the Israel Defense Forces intensified operations targeting Hamas commanders and infrastructure across the enclave.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
Russia carried out overnight drone strikes, air raids and shelling across Ukraine, hitting cities including Odesa and Dnipro, killing one person and injuring more than 30, according to Ukrainian officials on Monday (18 May).
Iran and Pakistan reviewed bilateral ties and the latest developments in the stalled Iran-U.S. peace negotiations mediated by Islamabad, as Tehran and Washington continue to refuse tangible concessions amid a fragile ceasefire and escalating verbal threats.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment