Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan target $1 billion in trade by 2030
Uzbekistan and Azerbaijan are drawing up a new programme aimed at boosting bilateral trade to $1 billion by 2030, as the two countries move to deep...
The U.S. Secret Service dismantled a network of sophisticated electronic devices in the New York area that had been used to threaten U.S. government officials, the agency said hours before President Donald Trump was due to address foreign leaders gathered at the U.N. General Assembly on Tuesday.
The devices were concentrated within 35 miles (56 km) of the global meeting of the 193-member assembly, the Secret Service said in a statement.
"Early analysis indicates cellular communications between nation-state threat actors and individuals that are known to federal law enforcement," it said.
Authorities seized more than 300 SIM servers and 100,000 SIM cards across multiple sites in an operation the agency said represented an imminent threat to its protective operations.
The devices were used to "conduct multiple telecommunications-related threats directed towards senior U.S. government officials," the Secret Service said.
"This network had the potential to disable cell phone towers and essentially shut down the cellular network in New York City," Matt McCool, special agent in charge of the Secret Service field office in New York, said in a video statement.
He said the devices no longer posed a threat to the area.
The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The devices discovered could be used to conduct a range of telecommunications attacks including disabling cell phone towers, enabling cybersecurity attacks and allowing encrypted communication between criminal groups and threat actors.
The tri-state area where the network was located includes New York, Connecticut and New Jersey.
McCool said the Secret Service began its investigation in the spring and worked with other federal and local agencies to track down the devices.
He said forensic analysts were examining the equivalent of 100,000 cell phones worth of data.
The Secret Service said it could not elaborate on who was behind the maneuvers, timed around the annual U.N. gathering.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment