Former Cuban President Raúl Castro indicted in the U.S., Trump official says
FormeFormer Cuban President Raúl Castro has been indicted in the United States, according to a senior Trump...
The United Arab Emirate said it was dealing with missile and drone attacks from Iran for the second day in a row on Tuesday (5 May), despite denials from authorities in Tehran who threatened a "crushing response" if the UAE retaliated.
The live blog is now closing. Here's a brief round-up of what happened on 5 May, 2026 in the Middle East conflict.
The United Arab Emirates's President Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan received calls from regional leaders, including Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, condemning what they described as Iranian attacks on civilians and civilian facilities in the UAE, the state news agency WAM reported.
The leaders "affirmed their countries' solidarity with the UAE and support for measures it takes to safeguard its security and stability and ensure the safety of its citizens," WAM added.
China has said it is assessing a new UN resolution proposed by the U.S. aimed at reopening the Strait of Hormuz to commercial shipping.
UN Security Council members began closed talks on Tuesday on a text the U.S. drafted with Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, and Qatar, which, if it were to pass, could lead to sanctions against Iran, and potentially authorise force, if Tehran fails to halt attacks and threats to commercial shipping.
China's UN Mission said it was carring out an "assessment" of the draft resolution, adding that it was circulated to Beijing's representatives on Monday afternoon (4 May).
A previous Bahraini resolution that was backed by the United States and appeared to open a path to legitimise U.S. military action against Iran failed last month after Russia and China exercised their vetoes in the 15-member Security Council.
The new draft avoids explicit language authorising force while still operating under Chapter VII of the UN Charter, which allows the Security Council to impose measures ranging from sanctions to military action.
The CS Anthem chemical tanker exited the Strait of Hormuz on Monday, its operator said on Tuesday, becoming the second commercial U.S.-flagged vessel known to do so while accompanied by the American military.
Earlier, Maersk MAERSKb.CO said that the Alliance Fairfax, a U.S.-flagged vehicle carrier operated by its Farrell Lines subsidiary, had exited the Gulf via the Strait.
Crowley-Stena Marine Solutions, which operates the CS Anthem, said in a statement: "The Crowley-managed vessel, CS Anthem, has safely completed its transit through the Strait of Hormuz."
A cargo vessel has been struck by an unknown projectile within the Strait of Hormuz, the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) agency has said, adding that the environmental impact from the incident was unknown.
A total of 10 civilian sailors have died due to the ongoing conflict with Iran in the Strait of Hormuz, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters on Tuesday.
He added that peace between Lebanon and Israel was achievable, but warned that Iran-backed militant group Hezbollah posed an obstacle.
"By and large, I think a peace deal between Lebanon and Israel is imminently achievable, and should be. The problem with Israel and Lebanon is not Israel or Lebanon, it's Hezbollah," he said at a White House press briefing.
Rubio also said the United States had made some adjustments to a draft UN resolution on free shipping in the Strait of Hormuz to try and avoid vetoes by China and Russia.
Iran's military and the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) have warned of a "crushing response" if the United Arab Emirates (UAE) takes any action against Iran's ports, Iranian media reports.
Tehran's joint military command said it had not carried out any attacks against the UAE in recent days, despite the Arab state blaming Iran for an attack on an industrial zone in Fujairah on Monday.
Iran has set up a new mechanism to manage the transit of vessels through the Strait of Hormuz, Iranian state news network Press TV reported on Tuesday.
Iran has warned the U.S. Navy to stay out of the Strait of Hormuz and that commercial vessels will need to coordinate any passage with its military. It also issued a new map of the strait with an expanded Iranian area of control.
Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Navy has warned ships to use the Strait of Hormuz corridors set by Iran, IRGC-affiliated Fars News Agency reports.
The IRGC Navy said that any vessels which divert will face a "decisive response."
The warning comes amid U.S. efforts to prevent Iranian control of the sea passage, which is vital for global trade.
Iran said the U.S. social media company X removed verification badges from accounts linked to its foreign ministry, calling the move “selective censorship” despite paid Premium+ subscriptions.
The statement, posted on X on Tuesday by Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei, said the blue check mark had been removed from the spokesperson’s account as well as from the ministry and the foreign minister’s profiles.
President Donald Trump on Tuesday dismissed Iran's military capability and when asked what could constitute a violation of a fragile ceasefire, said: "They know what not to do."
The United Arab Emirates said its air defence systems were intercepting missiles and drones launched from Iran on Tuesday, marking a second day of attacks after several weeks of relative calm.
The UAE’s defence ministry said it was actively responding to incoming threats, as tensions rise despite a ceasefire announced by the United States last month.
A fire has broken out at a shopping centre in the western part of Tehran, according to Iran’s state news agency IRNA.
U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth says “Project Freedom” is a temporary, separate operation from ongoing military efforts, stressing the U.S. can reopen the Strait of Hormuz without entering Iranian territory.
“U.S. aims to protect shipping from Iranian aggression. The U.S. won’t need to enter Iranian airspace or waters as part of opening the Strait of Hormuz,” he told a press conference at the Pentagon.
“Iran will face overwhelming firepower if it attacks commercial shipping,” he added.
Hegseth also said that the ceasefire with Iran remains in place, but warned that Tehran should act with caution amid rising tensions in the region.
A giant billboard dominates Vali Asr Square in Tehran, showing a close-up of U.S. President Donald Trump with his mouth symbolically sealed by the Strait of Hormuz, accompanied by the words “At the Breaking Point.”
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi will travel to China on Tuesday for talks with his Chinese counterpart on bilateral ties and international issues, his ministry said on its Telegram account.
Iran’s top negotiator has warned Tehran has “not even started” in its confrontation with the United States over the Strait of Hormuz.
In a post on X, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said: “We know full well that the continuation of the status quo is intolerable for America; whilst we have not even started yet.”
He accused the U.S. and its allies of putting shipping security at risk, adding their “malign presence will diminish”.
Anwar Gargash, Adviser to the President of the United Arab Emirates, says the country “appreciates and values” messages of solidarity from Gulf, Arab, and international partners following what he described as a “treacherous Iranian attack.”
Iraq has reportedly cut its oil prices for buyers willing to ship crude through the Strait of Hormuz, according to Bloomberg News.
The President of the European Council has voiced full solidarity with the United Arab Emirates following what he described as unjustified missile and drone attacks on civilian infrastructure, which were attributed to Iran.
In a post on X, Antonio Costa said the strikes violated sovereignty and international law and must stop. He called on Iran to engage in negotiations to ensure the ceasefire in the Middle East holds, adding that the EU would continue working with partners to de‑escalate tensions, reopen the Strait of Hormuz and pursue a lasting diplomatic solution for regional security.
India has described an attack on the United Arab Emirates city of Fujairah that injured three Indian nationals as “unacceptable”, according to a statement posted by the foreign ministry on X.
The ministry called for an immediate end to hostilities and warned against attacks on civilian infrastructure and civilians. The comments followed a drone strike on the Fujairah Oil Industry Zone, which the UAE said was carried out by Iran.
Iranian media reported on Tuesday that five civilians were killed after U.S. forces targeted small cargo boats in the Strait of Hormuz, disputing Washington’s account of the incident. The semi‑official Tasnim news agency, citing a military source, said the boats were carrying civilian goods from Oman towards Iran and were not military speedboats, as claimed by the U.S.
Earlier, U.S. Central Command said American helicopters destroyed Iranian small boats that it said were threatening commercial shipping during operations to secure traffic through the strait.
CENTCOM also accused Iran of firing on U.S. warships and commercial vessels, as regional tensions remain high despite an extended ceasefire and ongoing naval operations in the waterway.
Iran has said recent developments in the Strait of Hormuz show there is no military solution to what it described as a political crisis. In a brief statement, it said talks were making progress through Pakistan’s mediation and warned the U.S. and the UAE against being drawn back into conflict, describing Washington’s “Project Freedom” initiative as a path to deadlock rather than resolution.
Several commercial barges have caught fire at a dock in Iran’s southern port of Dayyer, according to the semi‑official Mehr news agency.
The report said firefighters were working to bring the blaze under control, but the cause of the incident remains unknown.
South Korea has said it will investigate the cause of an explosion and fire on a South Korean‑operated cargo ship in the Strait of Hormuz, after claims by the U.S. president that the incident was linked to an Iranian attack.
The foreign ministry said the Panama‑flagged vessel, operated by HMM and named HMM Namu, was empty and at anchor when the blast occurred on Monday, adding that there were no casualties and the fire, which started in the engine room, had been extinguished.
The ship is due to be towed to a nearby port for damage assessment and repairs, with all 24 crew members remaining on board.
South Korea’s oceans ministry said Korean vessels in the area had been advised to move to safer locations, noting dozens of South Korean‑flagged ships remain stranded around the strait.
In a social media post, the U.S. president said Iran had fired shots at the vessel as Washington launched an operation to reopen the waterway, suggesting Seoul consider joining escort efforts, though South Korean authorities have previously said any naval deployment would require legislative approval.

Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz appears heavily concentrated in key transit corridors, according to vessel‑tracking data.
The snapshot highlights congestion and heightened activity around one of the world’s most strategic maritime chokepoints, as tensions continue to affect navigation and security in the region.
Iranian media, citing a military source, said U.S. forces targeted two civilian boats carrying goods towards Iran, rather than Revolutionary Guard speedboats, resulting in five civilian deaths. The report said the vessels were conducting commercial transit when they were struck. There was no immediate confirmation from U.S. officials.
Two U.S. Navy destroyers have transited the Strait of Hormuz and entered the Persian Gulf after coming under Iranian fire, Anadolu agency reported, citing U.S. officials. The USS Truxtun and USS Mason said they were targeted by missiles, drones and small boats but were not hit.
Two U.S.-flagged commercial vessels also passed through the strait as part of the U.S.-led “Project Freedom” shipping initiative, according to U.S. Central Command.
The Israeli military said it is on high alert as tensions rise in the Gulf, amid concerns about a possible escalation with Iran linked to developments in the Strait of Hormuz.
In a brief statement, the army said it is monitoring the situation closely and confirmed there has been no change to civilian guidance. Israeli media reported that security consultations were held during the day to assess the situation, as regional strains persist despite an extended ceasefire.
U.S. forces have carried out strikes against Iranian fast boats in regional waters, according to U.S. defence officials, as tensions escalated following an attack on an oil facility in the United Arab Emirates that was attributed to Iran.
The developments come amid heightened confrontation involving maritime security in and around the Strait of Hormuz. Officials said the U.S. action was taken in response to what they described as hostile manoeuvres at sea, while reports from the Gulf said the UAE facility was targeted earlier in the day.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
Azerbaijan and Georgia have agreed to resume daily passenger train services on the Baku-Tbilisi-Baku route from 26 May, 2026, marking a major step in restoring regional rail connectivity after services were suspended in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Day four of the World Urban Forum (WUF) in Baku brings a packed agenda on sustainable cities and the global housing crisis, with sessions on green housing, smart cities, public spaces and urban rights taking place on Wednesday (20 May) at Baku Olympic Stadium in Azerbaijan.
Pakistan has deployed around 8,000 troops, fighter jets and air defence systems to Saudi Arabia under a mutual defence agreement, according to security officials and government sources familiar with the arrangement.
Russia is considering the possibility of joint projects with the United States and China, Kirill Dmitriev, Head of the Russian Direct Investment Fund, (Russia's sovereign wealth fund), was quoted as saying by state media on Wednesday.
Two Chinese tankers laden with oil exited the Strait of Hormuz on Wednesday, shipping data showed, brightening hopes that the U.S.-Israeli conflict with Iran may soon be resolved after positive comments from the U.S. President and his Deputy.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tehran remained committed to reaching a diplomatic settlement with the U.S. while continuing to strengthen its defensive capabilities amid ongoing regional tensions.
Finance ministers from the Group of Seven (G7) have urged the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the World Bank to increase support for countries hardest hit by the conflict in the Middle East.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday that he had paused a planned attack on Iran after Tehran sent a peace proposal to Washington. He said there was now a “very good chance” of reaching a deal to limit Iran’s nuclear programme.
Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and German counterpart Johann Wadephul said Monday that Ankara and Berlin are both keen to deepen strategic cooperation.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment