Former Cuban President Raúl Castro indicted in the U.S., Trump official says
FormeFormer Cuban President Raúl Castro has been indicted in the United States, according to a senior Trump...
Lebanon and Israel have agreed to extend their ceasefire by three weeks following talks at the White House, U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday (23 April).
The meeting in the Oval Office brought together Israel’s ambassador to Washington, Yechiel Leiter, and Lebanon’s ambassador, Nada Moawad. It followed a day of Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon that killed at least five people, including a journalist.
Trump said the talks went well and that the United States would work with Lebanon to help it defend itself against Hezbollah which is backed by Iran. However Hezbollah was not part of the discussions.
He added that he hoped to host Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Lebanese President Joseph Aoun in future talks.
Senior U.S. officials, including Vice President JD Vance and Secretary of State Marco Rubio, also attended the meeting.
The ceasefire had been due to expire on Sunday (17 April). It followed earlier talks between the two countries’ ambassadors in Washington and has led to a reduction in violence, though clashes have continued in southern Lebanon.
Israeli forces remain in a self-declared buffer zone inside Lebanese territory. Lebanon has said it will seek a full Israeli withdrawal, the return of detainees and a clear land border in future negotiations.
During the meeting, ambassador Moawad thanked the United States for its role in the talks and expressed hope for continued support.
"I think with your help, with your support, we can make Lebanon great again," she said.
Leiter said discussions should focus on addressing Hezbollah’s presence rather than on Israeli troop withdrawal. Israel has accused the group of continuing to pose a threat along its northern border.
"If Hezbollah and IRGC operatives continue to be treated with kid gloves, a real process of achieving our mutual goal will remain unachievable," Leiter said, according to remarks shared by the Israeli embassy in Washington.
Despite the ceasefire, violence has not stopped. Lebanon’s health ministry said Israeli strikes and shelling on Wednesday and Thursday killed several people and wounded others, including a child.
Among those killed was journalist Amal Khalil, according to Lebanese officials. The Israeli military said it was reviewing reports that journalists had been hit, adding that its strikes were aimed at what it described as Hezbollah-linked targets.
The Israeli army also said it shot dead two people it identified as an immediate threat near its forces in southern Lebanon.
Hezbollah said it carried out several operations in response to Israeli strikes. A senior member of the group, Hassan Fadlallah, said it supported extending the ceasefire but called for full Israeli compliance.
Fighting between Israel and Hezbollah resumed in March, when the group launched attacks in support of Iran following the U.S.-Israeli strikes. Since then, nearly 2,500 people have been killed in Lebanon, according to local authorities.
Israel says its military presence in southern Lebanon is aimed at protecting its northern communities after repeated rocket fire from Hezbollah.
The Israeli military has warned residents in southern Lebanon not to enter areas under its control.
The latest extension of the ceasefire provides a short window for further talks, as diplomatic efforts continue alongside ongoing tensions on the ground.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
Azerbaijan and Georgia have agreed to resume daily passenger train services on the Baku-Tbilisi-Baku route from 26 May, 2026, marking a major step in restoring regional rail connectivity after services were suspended in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Day four of the World Urban Forum (WUF) in Baku brings a packed agenda on sustainable cities and the global housing crisis, with sessions on green housing, smart cities, public spaces and urban rights taking place on Wednesday (20 May) at Baku Olympic Stadium in Azerbaijan.
Pakistan has deployed around 8,000 troops, fighter jets and air defence systems to Saudi Arabia under a mutual defence agreement, according to security officials and government sources familiar with the arrangement.
Russia is considering the possibility of joint projects with the United States and China, Kirill Dmitriev, Head of the Russian Direct Investment Fund, (Russia's sovereign wealth fund), was quoted as saying by state media on Wednesday.
Two Chinese tankers laden with oil exited the Strait of Hormuz on Wednesday, shipping data showed, brightening hopes that the U.S.-Israeli conflict with Iran may soon be resolved after positive comments from the U.S. President and his Deputy.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tehran remained committed to reaching a diplomatic settlement with the U.S. while continuing to strengthen its defensive capabilities amid ongoing regional tensions.
Finance ministers from the Group of Seven (G7) have urged the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the World Bank to increase support for countries hardest hit by the conflict in the Middle East.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday that he had paused a planned attack on Iran after Tehran sent a peace proposal to Washington. He said there was now a “very good chance” of reaching a deal to limit Iran’s nuclear programme.
Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and German counterpart Johann Wadephul said Monday that Ankara and Berlin are both keen to deepen strategic cooperation.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment