Turkish Airlines plane catches fire after landing in Kathmandu, Nepal
A Turkish Airlines plane caught fire in its landing gear tyres after landing at Tribhuvan International Airport...
The Strait of Hormuz has reopened, Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and U.S. President Donald Trump said on Friday (17 April), although Washington warned its naval blockade on Iran would remain until a peace deal is reached.
“In line with the ceasefire in Lebanon, the passage for all commercial vessels through Strait of Hormuz is declared completely open for the remaining period of ceasefire, on the coordinated route as already announced by Ports and Maritime Organisation of the Islamic Rep. of Iran,” Araghchi said in a post on social media website X.
Shortly afterwards, Trump also confirmed the reopening of the sea passage, which is essential for global trade, while clarifying that the U.S. blockade of Iranian ports remains in force.
“The Strait of Hormuz is completely open and ready for business and full passage, but the naval blockade will remain in full force and effect as it pertains to Iran, only, until such time as our transaction with Iran is 100% complete,” Trump wrote on social media website Truth Social in capital letters.
The Strait of Hormuz, through which around a fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas normally passes, has been effectively closed since the start of the U.S. and Israeli war with Iran at the end of February.
The conflict rapidly spread across the Middle East, particularly Lebanon, resulting in thousands of deaths, raising fears of the worst oil shock in history, and prompting widespread flight cancellations and the closure of international airports across the region.
A two-week ceasefire mediated by Pakistan was agreed by the U.S. and Iran on 8 April, but the strait had, for all intents and purposes, remained closed despite the pause in fighting.
On Thursday (16 April), Trump announced that the leaders of Israel and Lebanon had agreed to a 10-day ceasefire.
Despite talks in the Pakistani capital, Islamabad, last weekend, Iran and the U.S. have yet to reach a peace agreement. However, Trump said on Thursday that new talks could take place as early as this weekend.
Iranian sources said on Friday that some “gaps remained to be resolved” before a preliminary deal with the U.S. could be reached.
British paratroopers and military medics have been deployed to Tristan da Cunha after a suspected hantavirus case was confirmed, as first evacuation flights carrying passengers from the stricken MV Hondius cruise ship left Tenerife for Madrid and Paris.
Russia is holding a significantly scaled-back Victory Day parade in Moscow on 9 May 2026, reflecting heightened security concerns and the ongoing war in Ukraine, now in its fourth year.
Indonesian rescue teams have located two Singaporeans who went missing after Mount Dukono erupted on Friday (8 May) on the island of Halmahera, though authorities say it remains unclear whether they are alive.
The U.S. Defense Department has released dozens of previously classified files on unidentified anomalous phenomena (UAP) on Friday (8 May), following an order from President Donald Trump. U.S. officials described as a push for “unprecedented transparency”.
A memorandum of understanding has been signed between Baku State University (BSU) and the international television channel AnewZ, marking a new stage of cooperation in journalism education and media development.
U.S. President Donald Trump called Iran’s response to Washington’s latest peace proposal “totally unacceptable” amid talks over ending the war and securing shipping through the Strait of Hormuz. A cargo vessel near Qatar was hit by a projectile as Kuwait reported hostile drones in its airspace.
President Donald Trump called Iran’s response to a US war proposal “totally unacceptable” after Tehran sent its reply through mediator Pakistan, according to IRNA. Qatar’s al-Thani also warned Iran against using the Strait of Hormuz as “a pressure tool”.
Efforts to end the U.S.-Iran war appeared to stall as the two sides exchanged fire in and around the Strait of Hormuz. A reported CIA assessment suggested Tehran could withstand a U.S. naval blockade for months despite mounting sanctions and renewed Gulf attacks.
The U.S. and Iran exchanged fire in and around the Strait of Hormuz, though both sides signalled they did not want escalation. The clashes come as Washington awaits Tehran’s response to a proposed deal to end the war while leaving key disputes, such as Iran’s nuclear programme, unresolved for now.
Tensions between the U.S. and Iran remain far from a genuine ceasefire, as military posturing, sanctions and uncertainty over diplomacy continue to fuel fears of a broader regional confrontation.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment