Iran sends reply to U.S. peace plan as tensions persist in Strait of Hormuz
Iran said on Sunday (10 May) that it had sent its response to a U.S. proposal aimed at launching peace talks to end the war, as signs of tentative ...
U.S. President Donald Trump vented his frustration with NATO during a private meeting with its secretary-general, Mark Rutte, on Wednesday as relations in the military alliance reached a crisis point over the Iran war.
"He is clearly disappointed with many NATO allies, and I can see his point," Rutte said on CNN's "The Lead with Jake Tapper," after spending more than two hours at the White House.
"This was a very frank, very open discussion, but also a discussion between two good friends," he said.
Rutte spoke hours after White House spokeswoman Karoline Leavitt quoted Trump as saying of NATO, "They were tested, and they failed," during the Iran war.
Several NATO countries resisted supporting the U.S. military campaign against Iran by denying U.S. military planes use of their airspace or declining to send naval forces to help reopen the Strait of Hormuz for energy tankers.
Without specifying the countries, Rutte said his own view was that "some" NATO countries had failed to live up to their commitments in the Iran operation but that "the large majority of Europeans" had been helpful.
The White House did not disclose details of the talks. Trump posted on Truth Social after the meeting in capital letters that "NATO wasn't there when we needed them, and they won't be there if we need them again."
Trump has repeatedly called NATO a "paper tiger" and threatened to withdraw from the 32-member transatlantic alliance in recent weeks, arguing that Washington's European allies have relied on U.S. security guarantees while providing inadequate support for the U.S.-Israeli bombing campaign in Iran.
Although Trump said on Tuesday the attacks on Iran would be paused under a two-week ceasefire, the fallout from the conflict has continued to strain ties between Washington and its allies, suggesting the diplomatic consequences may linger longer.
Leavitt on Wednesday said that NATO countries had "turned their backs on the American people," who fund their nations' defence, and that Trump would have a "very frank and candid conversation" with the NATO chief.
Trump has called for countries that depend on oil from the Gulf region to break Iran's chokehold on the Strait of Hormuz, but European countries are unlikely to join mine-clearing or other missions to free up navigation as long as hostilities continue, according to two European diplomats.
Rutte, known in Europe as a "Trump whisperer," has cultivated a warm relationship with Trump despite the tensions and referred to the president last year as a "daddy" handling a schoolyard brawl between Israel and Iran. Another European diplomat described Rutte's approach to Trump as deferential but effective.
Conflict over Iran has worsened transatlantic anxieties over Ukraine, Greenland and military spending, although senior U.S. officials have privately reassured European governments that the administration remains committed to NATO, according to one of the two European officials, who was involved in such conversations.
"This is a dangerous point for the transatlantic alliance," said Oana Lungescu, a former NATO spokesperson now at the Royal United Services Institute, a London-based think tank.
A NATO official said Rutte, while at the White House, would seek to increase defence-industry cooperation and to discuss the wars in Iran and Ukraine.
NATO is a defensive alliance focused on North America and Europe, and it's not clear precisely what role Trump expected it to play in the Middle East.
"I expect he will keep up the dialogue on Ukraine and burden-shifting within NATO," another senior European diplomat said, adding that the former Dutch politician has said alliance members "should lean into opening Hormuz" after a ceasefire.
Trump also spoke with French President Emmanuel Macron on Wednesday.
NATO, which includes European countries, the U.S. and Canada, was formed in 1949 to counter the risk of Soviet attack and has been the cornerstone of the West's security ever since.
Trump's focus on the Middle East has also further threatened to divert U.S. weapons from Ukraine, whose defence is a major priority for most of NATO's European members. Trump's criticism of Ukraine, engagement with Russia and threats to take over Greenland from NATO member Denmark have alarmed those allies.
"He has been disappointed by NATO and other allies' unwillingness to be helpful throughout Operation Epic Fury, even though his effort to destroy the threat posed by Iran is to their benefit," said White House spokeswoman Anna Kelly.
"As he said, the United States will remember," she added.
Efforts to end the U.S.-Iran war appeared to stall as the two sides exchanged fire in and around the Strait of Hormuz. A reported CIA assessment suggested Tehran could withstand a U.S. naval blockade for months despite mounting sanctions and renewed Gulf attacks.
British paratroopers and military medics have been deployed to Tristan da Cunha after a suspected hantavirus case was confirmed, as first evacuation flights carrying passengers from the stricken MV Hondius cruise ship left Tenerife for Madrid and Paris.
Russia is holding a significantly scaled-back Victory Day parade in Moscow on 9 May 2026, reflecting heightened security concerns and the ongoing war in Ukraine, now in its fourth year.
Indonesian rescue teams have located two Singaporeans who went missing after Mount Dukono erupted on Friday (8 May) on the island of Halmahera, though authorities say it remains unclear whether they are alive.
The U.S. Defense Department has released dozens of previously classified files on unidentified anomalous phenomena (UAP) on Friday (8 May), following an order from President Donald Trump. U.S. officials described as a push for “unprecedented transparency”.
President Donald Trump called Iran’s response to a US war proposal “totally unacceptable” after Tehran sent its reply through mediator Pakistan, according to IRNA. Qatar’s al-Thani also warned Iran against using the Strait of Hormuz as “a pressure tool”.
Efforts to end the U.S.-Iran war appeared to stall as the two sides exchanged fire in and around the Strait of Hormuz. A reported CIA assessment suggested Tehran could withstand a U.S. naval blockade for months despite mounting sanctions and renewed Gulf attacks.
The U.S. and Iran exchanged fire in and around the Strait of Hormuz, though both sides signalled they did not want escalation. The clashes come as Washington awaits Tehran’s response to a proposed deal to end the war while leaving key disputes, such as Iran’s nuclear programme, unresolved for now.
Tensions between the U.S. and Iran remain far from a genuine ceasefire, as military posturing, sanctions and uncertainty over diplomacy continue to fuel fears of a broader regional confrontation.
Iran confirmed on Friday its Armed Forces responded to, what Tehran is calling, the U.S. Navy’s violation of the ceasefire. It said Iranian ships and civilian areas were attacked near the Strait of Hormuz on Thursday evening.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment